Monday, March 10, 2008

A Wall of Stink

I am glad that Lucky plays hockey. I am not glad that his gear considers itself a full-fledged member of the team, which is the only explanation I can think of as to why it feels comfortable enough to lounge around in our apartment all day, then welcome me home after work with an enthusiastic high-five of funk. Lucky says "airing out." I say "squatting."

What I am saying, in the most complicated way possible, is that his hockey gear smells terrible, to the point I am currently huddled on the couch under a blanket since I prefer the cold to closing our back door, which is supplying life-giving fresh air. In an apartment this small, options are limited.

This calls for a haiku....

Pads, helmet, and gloves,
Your combined stock of B.O.

Strains my young marriage.


...Or two.

Hard-won hockey game
While I cheer, I sigh deeply

Much sweat to "air out."

No comments: