Tuesday, March 4, 2008

All of a sudden, I love the Arcade Fire. I've been kind of resisting them for a few years, showing my disapproval of their fans' pretentiousness by being pretentious, but a few songs snuck through my defenses. Rebellion, Wake Up - I had to admit that those were pretty ok, I guess, if you like that kind of thing. I could not be convinced, however, to sit down and listen to the whole album. I say it like the band sent some kind of emissary, seeking my vaunted opinion, but dude, they've got David Bowie on their side. They want for nothing. Maybe if it was just Yoko Ono or something they'd be seeking more coolness, but David Bowie? Come on.

Anyway, as a result of a friendly inter-buddy music exchange I ended up with the Neon Bible. I left it to stew on my ipod for months before breaking down and giving it a shot one rainy bus ride last week. At first, it didn't grab me. At least, I didn't think it did. Then I found myself humming some accordion melody and muttering about a black mirror. A week later, I've gone so far as to make my poor Lucky listen to it on the way to bowling "But the ACCORDION! Are you listening? SERIOUSLY!" "Yeah. It's great..... Is that french? Why are you listening to french?")

So, you win this one, Arcade Fire. You may join Wolf Parade in the ranks of Montreal bands that force me to agree with the super annoying, hyper self-conscious music reviewers in places like Zulu. You're welcome.

No comments: